Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Hadiith on Fasting

“The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Allaah says: “Every deed of the son of Adam is for him, except for fasting; it is for Me and I shall reward for it.” Fasting is a shield and when one of you is fasting he [must] avoid sexual relations with his wife and quarreling. If somebody should fight or quarrel with him, he should say, ‘I am fasting.’ By the One in Whose hand is my soul, the unpleasant smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allaah than the smell of musk. The fasting person will have two moments of joy: one when he breaks his fast, and the other when he meets his Lord; then he will be pleased because of his fasting.’”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1771)

1 comment:

SocietyVs said...

That doesn't seem all that bad - interesting to note to reward system is involved. I find that a little strange - like God is into coercion of sorts - to get a Muslim to follow the fast.

What am I saying - I haven't fasted in years.