Saturday, September 22, 2007

Declare the Wonderful Deeds!

Abu Daoud says: a wonderful reminder of how the beauty of Creation is linked to God's grace and love for us. It is indeed a sign (aya) of his goodness and power--and that is taught explicitly in both the Bible and the Quran:

I went climbing this past weekend at Seneca Rocks, West Virginia. It was an awesome time!! I may have to share some pictures from the trip with this blog when I get them developed.

While camping out, after the first day, I was hanging out around the campfire with my friends and began to read some excerpts from the Bible. Well, I turned to 1 Peter (no, not because my name is Peter:) and read this passage:

"But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, that you may declare the wonderful deeds of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were no people but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy but now you have received mercy."

One of my favorites! What struck me was the purpose of "the Church" here is clearly laid out. The four nouns in the beginning refer to the people of the new covenant - the Church. We are called to "declare wonderful deeds!" And one "wonderful deed" that I always marvel at is creation and the beauty God created it with. Its awesome! Get away from the city sometime and get to the mountains or to the ocean or some aspect of His creation that speaks of His grandeur.


From Everyday Apostles

No comments: