Monday, September 08, 2008

Sarah Palin, Esther and the Muslims

I don't post a lot of stuff on US politics here, but every now and then there is something very interesting, and this is one of those things. Some folks will read this and find it very worrying--maybe this woman is a fundamentalist! That sort of thing. But in Islamic culture a woman who lives by the Word of God (even if it is corrupted according to Muslims) is commendable.

I also thought her pastor's insight and ref. to Esther was very good. Good job Pastor Riley:

She needed spiritual advice in how to do her new job, said Riley, who is 78 and retired from the church.

"She asked for a biblical example of people who were great leaders and what was the secret of their leadership," Riley said.

He wrote back that she should read again from the Old Testament the story of Esther, a beauty queen who became a real one, gaining the king's ear to avert the slaughter of the Jews and vanquish their enemies. When Esther is called to serve, God grants her a strength she never knew she had.

Riley said he thought that Palin had lived out the advice as governor and would do so again as the Republican Party's vice presidential nominee.

"God has given her the opportunity to serve," he said. "And God has given her the strength to carry out her goals."


From the IHT.

Folks always say they want someone who can deal with the Islamic nations intelligently and who understands them. Someone like Palin who actually BELIEVES in her religion, unlike pseudo-Catholic VP nominee Joe Biden who supports abortion rights, is that kind of person. My experience indicates in a very solid way that religious Muslims respect religious Christians (who read the Bible and go to church weekly and fast and pray regularly) much more than they respect non-religious Muslims. Need I mention non-religious Christians?

Here, being religious is good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bother,

I am quite concerned with both Barack Obama & Sarah Palin running for this high-level office. They both have younger children and I cannot imagine how much their families will suffer with a limited presence of an integral member of their respective families. Is there an alternative candidate in this election who will not be wreaking havoc on his/her family?

Peace to you,
From the Middle East

Odysseus said...

I am concerned about Palin's inexperience, (but not as concerned as I am about Obama's inexperience!). Furthermore, though I am Catholic, I think it is about time that someone came out and spoke for the silent majority (or perhaps it is a plurality now) of solid, moral Protestants who have been the backbone of this country since it's inception.

Yup, I will vote Republican this year.

Abu Daoud said...

FTME: The other parties I know of are the Constitution Party, the Libertarian Party, and the Green Party. You can check them out and see what you think.

Rob: If I can figure out how to vote where I am, I probably will vote Republican as well--at least as things presently stand.

E. Twist said...

Good post, Abu. Thanks.

Jenny said...

I guess my question would be do religious Muslims repect religious Christians who don't respect or engage them? I think a great example is our current President - no doubt in my mind he's a Christian who believes with all his heart. But every action he's taken especially in reguard to foreign policy in Iraq and other places in the Middle east and around the world prove that he could care less what they think of him. How can you repect someone who refuses to respect or engage you?