Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Prison and the Shoe Bomber

So this is not a great theological insight, but I'd just hate to get stuck in prison for life because I'm the "show bomber." I mean, isn't that a kind of ridiculous title? Son of Sam, Zodiac Killer, 9/11 hi-jackers--evil men no doubt--but they didn't get silly names like "the shoe bomber." Anyway, let's see how well name-it-and-claim-it works for the shoe bomber:

Failed shoe bomber Richard Reid fantasizes that Allah will free him from the Supermax prison cell where he lives in isolation - and in his socks.

"I had a couple of good dreams about my situation changing for the better in the not-so-distant future, so this is a blessing from Allah," Reid wrote in letters obtained by a British newspaper.

"I place my trust in Allah that he will bring that into fruition and ask him to give me patience until the time when that occurs."

The Mirror also secured exclusive photos of the 33-year-old Al Qaeda acolyte who tried to blow up a packed Miami-bound jet with booby-trapped sneakers - and who stares with crazy eyes at the camera.

Behind the British-born Muslim convert are his paltry possessions - a few books about Islam, scraps of writing paper, a bear-shaped plastic container of what appears to be honey resting beside a shabby trunk.

His beard is scraggly and he wears a white, long-sleeved T-shirt and gray sweatpants. He expresses no remorse for his failed attempt at mass murder - and seems serene despite the terrorist path that landed him in prison.

From Here.

No comments: