Sunday, October 04, 2009

More Protestants leave for Orthodoxy in the USA

Well, what can I say? I can't blame them. You look at the Protestant churches in the US and they are, on the whole, a pathetic lot (including mine, TEC). Here is a good vignette:

As he entered, a vespers service was under way. Maybe two dozen worshipers stood, chanting psalms and hymns. Incense filled the dark air. Icons of apostles and saints hung on the walls. The ancientness and austerity stood at a time-warp remove from the evangelical circles in which Mr. Oren traveled, so modern, extroverted and assertively relevant.

“This was a Christianity I had never encountered before,” said Mr. Oren, 55, a marketing consultant in commercial construction. “I was frozen in my tracks. I felt like I was in the actual presence of God, almost as if I was in heaven. And I’m not the kind of person who gets all woo-hoo.”


Read it all at IHT.

5 comments:

Don said...

Along those lines, the comments I got from "Katie in Georgia" to this post are interesting (and occasionally hilarious.)

amy said...

I am one of those....

left Protestantism for the Ancient Faith 3 years ago and have never looked back. 'tis a blessing to worship in sacredness and Truth.

Lucian said...

And I’m not the kind of person who gets all woo-hoo.

And I'm not the kind of guy who sleeps with the girl at the first date, and Nixon was not a crook, and so on... :-) Seriously, didn't we hear this all before? :-)

Lucian said...

And I’m not the kind of person who gets all woo-hoo.

And I'm not the kind of guy who sleeps with the girl at the first date, and Nixon was not a crook, and so on... :-) Seriously, didn't we hear this all before? :-)

JohnG. said...

Well strangely, I'm not surprised by that. I love Holy Write and I find it showing strongly toward apostolic church such as orthodox, catholic, coptic, and others...

However, reading protestant articles on the net mostly dealing with catholicism, I more surpised to see a protestant becoming catholic, because of the great amount of anti-bodies against catholicism he carries in its tradition...