Umm Yasmin's Muslima Blog: Dervish

I know I'm generally fairly critical of Islam. But I think if you look at my posts on Christianity (my own religion of course) I am pretty critical too.

So in the spirit of fairness, and because of her bravery and kindness, I want to recommend to everyone this blog by Umm Yasmin (that means that her daughter's name is Yasmin/Jasmin).

She represents more positive aspects of Islam. Though I will say that if she lived in a truly Islamic society she would never have the freedom to keep a blog like this. In other words, her freedom to blog comes from living in a non-Islamic society.

God bless her and keep her and guide her into all truth.

BTW: May I point out that traditionally in Islamic society that could really not use the name "Umm Yasmin"? You only get to use that matronym when you have a MALE CHILD. Hence my name, "Abu Daoud"--Daoud being a male name of course since I have a son.

Read up and post remarks. Let you words be salted by kindness and charity always.

Dervish

Comments

Umm Yasmin said…
Thank you kindly for promoting my blog :)

One slight correction, however. The use of "Abu" and "Umm" as a kunya predates the Islamic period.

Whilst it tends to culturally be used for the first-born son, there is historical precedent of using the female name for the kunya such as Umm Habibah (a wife of the Prophet); Abu Hind (a companion of the Prophet); Umm Jamilah bint Qutbah (of the period of the Tabiun); Zaid ibn Abu Anisa (who related hadith) and so on.
Abu Daoud said…
Thank you, but this is not a custom that has been used within Dar al Islam in the last (say) 1,000 years as far as I know.

But it is not a problem, I think it is good for you to disagree with curent Islamic customs. Please, disagree all you want!

Leita irrab yubaarikik.

Popular posts from this blog

Pakistan population may touch 292m mark by 2050

Missionary Secrets 4: our churches don't know what to do with us...

Ant Greenham's list of reasons for Muslims converting to Christ