Thursday, May 24, 2007

New Missionaries in Uganda

I am regularly in touch with folks who are considering long-term work in the mission field. Here is a great page of some friends who just arrived in Uganda for a half-year mission. Uganda is different than the Middle East of course, but some of the stuff they face there is the same as what folks face when they move anywhere in the 3rd World.

Example:

I guess you can’t be a missionary in a new culture without getting sick. And now that we have crossed that bridge I hope we don’t have to cross it again. Please keep our health in your prayers as being sick really slows the work we do down, and it makes it more difficult to carry on with day-to-day tasks.

About a week and a half ago, I came down with what I thought was traveler’s diarrhea, but after a week of that I finally went to the doctor. There is a very good clinic here for us with a British doc; he diagnosed me as having salmonella. This is of course, after I provided a stool sample, a new experience for me. (If this is too much info, just skip to the next posting.) I got some meds and I feel as good as new. Interestingly enough I think I gave myself salmonella after trying my hand at cutting up some bone-in chicken.


Or the joy of meeting other expats and finding a little piece of home in a strange land:


Through a friend and another friend (missionaries are all connected this way) I found out about an ex-pat mom’s playgroup. Anderson and I have been twice.


Anyway, if you are interested in what it is like to move onto the mission field, this blog has some great examples. God bless this family and prosper their work:

The Franke Family

No comments: