Steve at From the Pew has posted his list of Protestant traditions not found in the Bible and I just had to post it:
Here is a list of Protestant traditions that I don't remember finding in the bible. I may be mistaken about some of these, and these are off the top of my head, in no particular order other than the order that I thought them in, so if I have goofed up this list, please let me know! I'm not suggesting any of these things are wrong in and of themselves. It's simply a list.
- Sunday School
- The pulpit
- Preaching of the gospel in church - isn't every example in the NT of preaching the gospel outside of the church and to unbelievers?
- Bringing people to church to hear the gospel
- Grape juice used for Lord's Supper instead of wine
- Church buildings
- Stained glass
- The Sunday meeting being called a "worship service"
- Tithing to the church instead of in ministry to others
- Sunday meeting of the church without a meal
- Sunday meeting of the church without Lord's supper being part of that meal
- "Personal quiet time"
- A Sunday church meeting without considering how to stimulate one another to love, or how to stimulate one another to good deeds, or the encouraging of one another.